Pittsburg Modular 3900 - first impressions

Jay Vaughan ibisum at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 08:10:20 CET 2021

Well, I’m a satisfied new customer of Pittsburgh Modular.  The 3900 has arrived.

Got it out of the box, patched it up a bit and had a jam .. very fat and aggressive and bitey, but quite a simple single-oscillator sound at first.  I initially thought “hmm.. this is probably a bit simpler than I thought” .. but then, watching the Nick Batt tutorial and hearing some really great, fat sounds that demonstrate that there are some sweet spots in the potentiometers that definitely need to be identified and used .. great to have another analog sound in the kit, its going to sit alongside the Neutron and SH101 pretty well .. will be a fun weekend playing with just the analog gear for a while.  I was able to build some of the big fat bass sounds I love, pretty rapidly, and I haven’t bothered patching anything yet.  The onboard sequencer is fun and tweaky, very definitely inspiring to use with the SH101’s sequencer too.

I have to add some blippy sound-effects to an app I’m building for work - I guess I’m gonna take the 3900 to work today.  Definitely a fun machine.

Anyone else got Pittsburgh Modular stuff?

j.
—
Jay Vaughan
ibisum at gmail.com