Powered USB-C hub recommendations?

Joost Schuttelaar joost at joostschuttelaar.nl
Tue Dec 7 21:37:22 CET 2021

Hey -bar,

So I got a brand spankin new shiny MBP, and everything is well, except I still struggle from a tiny lack of USB power.

Any USB-C hub recommendations, preferably with an external power supply? I got a cheapo AliExpress one, but it caused more mayhem.

Use case: MBP 16” plugged into two LG 5K Thunderbolt displays. One of the two is powering the MBP (I don’t know which one!). I have too many peripherals plugged in. Some external USB-C disks, audio interface, USB-C mike, Komplete MIDI keyboard, charging an iPad etc… basically I’m going over what the internal PSU’s of my displays can deliver and I momentarily lose a USB hub (have to unplug / plug). It even means that I’ve had one of the webcams in the LG display disappear in the middle of a video call when my Time Capsule HDD started backup-ing :)

Cheers,

--

Joost Schuttelaar
The Hague, NL