Blackbox, first day

Jay Vaughan ibisum at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 20:47:44 CEST 2021

> As I'm shaking off the cobwebs of music production I picked up one of
> these, and was instantly impressed by the ease of use.  Once I've built
> up enough different phrases and one-shots, arrangement on the fly is a
> guaranteed quick win.  Small sequences seem to be a lock too.

I’ve been jamming a lot over the last few years, and I have a huge archive of recordings of the sessions from jamming.

What I’m doing now is going through, finding the good spots, things that are worth further developing, cutting them out, and using them to construct new frameworks for tracks.  I’ve come up with some great stuff that works - there are moments in the jams over time that things really click together, and I’m having a blast harvesting these moments, gathering samples and loops from them, and so on.

I’m not very pro-active on the production side of things yet.  I don’t really enjoy sitting in front of a DAW for hours - my music-making ethos has led me to a jam-first mentality, where I try to “perform things into place”.. this is the pleasure I derive from the art, which I engage in - not professionally - but rather as a hobby, for my own purposes.

> My mind may not be thinking about this in the right way at all, but if
> this is simple to do and I'm missing it Jay, I'd love to analyze a
> sample project from you.

Well, I want to push more things out there this year, but its a huge task to go through the sessions and find snippets .. but for sure I’ll be sharing the results.  A lot of what I like, however, is pretty weird and awful to most people, haha ..

j...