It's always the cable

Peter Korsten peter at severity-one.com
Sat Mar 7 17:59:18 CET 2020

It's been a while since I posted something here. Today, I was
experiencing some major problem with my PC, which suddenly couldn't read
a 1 TB SSD any longer. Long story short, it was the extremely cheap SATA
cable that connected a not-exactly-cheap SSD (>€400 when I bought it) to
a pretty high-end PC (I bought a 16-core Ryzen 9 CPU recently and it's
an absolute beast).

And that reminded me: it's always the cable. Those who've known him
personally might recognise that phrase, but it's something that Gert
used to say. Got MIDI connection problems? It's always the cable – and
also always the last thing you check.

I miss my friend. The depression that I dealt with when he died has been
dealt with, although it will always be lurking around the corner. The
deluge of serotonin that I was taking prevented me from feeling really
sad at the time, and also from feeling guilty about not feeling really sad.

Just wanted everybody to know that I'm OK, that I'm still around, and
after an absolutely mad second half of 2019 at work, things are settling
down there as well. But I have to limit what I do, and when I do it.

I'm planning to build my own desk, and once I've done that, bring the
synths down to the living room. Hopefully, I'll be able to enjoy myself
in other ways than just watching YouTube and Netflix, and posting cat
memes on Facebook. 😊

- Peter