This weeks Behringer synth announcement

Niall Munnelly niall.munnelly at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 19:14:58 CEST 2020

Funny timing, Matt.

Recently a friend described verbiage in an old Boss drum machine’s manual,
something to the effect of “these patterns are available for home use, but
are the intellectual property of Ikutaro Kakehashi and are not licensed for
commercial use.” He didn’t have the manual handy, but I’m curious. Does
this ring any bells? Have similar claims been made for other
instruments/workstations/etc?

On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 11:30 AM Matt Picone <matt at mysticworks.com> wrote:

> My problem with those was the lack of original ROM content due to IP
>
> issues. Seriously?
>

> It's why I am SO reluctant to sell my D-550 :-/
>

> --
>

> M@
>

> On 8/19/20 11:23 AM, James Coplin
>
> wrote:
>

> This is exactly the response I had to Roland's
>
> D-50/D-550 reissue. The boutique sounding great but not the
>
> exact same as the original. Given the prices, you can buy an
>
> original and have the exact vintage sound.
>

> James
>

> On Aug 19, 2020, at 10:10 AM, Tony
>
> Hardie-Bick <tony at entity.net> wrote:
>

>> A good friend of mine still uses a DX7 rack because none of the very
>>
>> impressive DX copies, software or hardware, has the same aesthetic. He
>>
>> demoed the difference to me. It's striking when you really listen.
>>

>> Like the difference between a Steinway (or Fazioli) and, say, a generic,
>>
>> really excellent copy (like one of the hand-made Yamahas).
>>

>> The PPG had an unusual sound that was caused by an odd, and expensive
>>
>> combination of digital and analogue. If they succeed in recreating that
>>
>> particular sound, I will be impressed.
>>

>> Great (and right) that Paula is mentioned.
>>

>> t.
>>

>> On 19/08/2020 16:00, Tony Scharf wrote:
>>
>>  It’s the photocopy aspect of this that really burns me.  I guess it’s
>>>
>>>  nice if you want the vintage sound without the maintenance headaches,
>>>
>>>  but these 80s designs in 2020 are just...boring.

Yours,
Niall.