Cloud Backups for Music Library

deeplfo deeplfo at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 21:58:32 CET 2019

 Thanks Jay, that part I do have right now :-)
mohsen

    On Sunday, March 3, 2019, 8:04:17 AM PST, Jay Vaughan <ibisum at gmail.com> wrote:

 > Note: I am mostly interested in backing up my large 1T collection of recorded music, i.e. my music library.

A controversial opinion: you don’t need a cloud service.  Don’t be lazy, use good computing practices and be *sure* you have backups.

Here is how: When you get yourself a disk for your music library, get two disks.  Rotate them every few months - put one in your studio for daily use, and the other in your  bank vault for protection/recovery.

    $ rsync -avzh —progress /Volumes/DiskInUse/ /Volumes/DiskToTheVault/

Better still, get three disks - one for your daily use, one to hang on your VPN so you can access it anywhere, and one for the vault.

If this is too much hassle, sure - use a cloud.  But always remember, the cloud is just other peoples computers, and just because you bought the service doesn’t mean its going to be around forever, nor will you always have the bandwidth to do a restore ...  If you want real sanctity, having another copy of your valued data in a vault is as good as it gets.  There is no data plan under the sun that can match the multi-terabyte backup you hand-deliver to your bank vault.

(Disclaimer: not a cloud fanboy, but I do have “Matryoshka Doll”-style personal backups of everything I’ve done for decades…)

j.