Studio power connections

Joost Schuttelaar joost at joostschuttelaar.nl
Sun Dec 2 15:22:47 CET 2018

On 1 Dec 2018, at 23:38, Jay Vaughan <ibisum at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I'd keep any dimmable/LED lights on a separate circuit, but again, you're in a modern house with modern wiring, so the lights *should* be on a separate circuit with separate ground.
>>

> Joosts’ new place is, like, 700 years old .. ;)

1885 :)

But yes, all wiring will be new. So just a distribution board which has multiple grounded breakers (or groups as we call them here).

Typically, in NL, a room will share the same circuit for both the lights and the wall outlets. In fact, the circuit starts at the ceiling of the room in the ‘central box’, and connect from there to the walls.

In my case, the floor sockets for the studio would most easily be wired up with the group in the ceiling box in the room below. The wall sockets and the lights would be wired up with the group in the ceiling box in the studio.

So the question is, keep it like this, or does it make sense to separate it out from the distribution board?

Also, the new board will be three-phase power. I would think that it’s best if the studio is all on the same phase, no? :)

Cheers,

--

Joost Schuttelaar
The Hague, NL