Time to get out of the box

Mikael Hansson forums at deadmengods.com
Sun Apr 15 20:39:40 CEST 2018

> On 15 Apr 2018, at 20:28, Andrew Robinson <andrew at bml.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Thanks Mikael and Andrew
>
> I feel like I'm starting to get to the point where I can ask some beginner questions...
>
> 1) A lot of manufacturers use a naming convention: n x n but nobody seems to explain it anywhere. What do those two numbers indicate?

Mostly number of possible ins x outs, including ADAT expansion, SPDIF, Headphones etc.

> 2) To me, an ADAT was a digital audio VHS tape recorder that shouldn't have lasted into this millennium. Does ADAT now mean that 25 pin D connector that looks like SCSI?

ADAT expansion is connected through optical ports, like the ones on hifi equipment, but with another protocol. The 25 pin D connector is mostly just for multichannel (8) analog in/out

> 3) Why does everything have so many outputs? I feel like I'm missing something because a 4 in 8 out box sounds absurd to me. Am I wrong to just want lots of inputs but only a single digital out (and possibly a stereo pair to monitor)?

Yeah, I’ve also cursed this from time to time :-)
If you got some external fx, it can be utilised to route audio to it without having to change the cable around

> 4) Everything seems to have a connector I've not seen before. What is that connector that looks to be the size of a 3-pin XLR, but with a T-shaped hole called, and what's it for?

It’s a combo connector, XLR and jack.

> 5) My current thinking is that what I should be looking for is a box full of D/A converters with one 25-pin D connector on the back, and a 'snake cable' that converts this to jack plugs. Judging by the fact that I can't find such a thing, I'm worried if this is a sane conclusion to have reached?
>
> Thanks for bearing with me!
>
> - Andy_R

Whats your budget btw?

/Micke