New toy on order...

James R. Coplin james at ticalun.net
Tue Sep 5 17:40:31 CEST 2017

The Prusa is an open source printer so there are lots of clones. Mostly
Chinese made cheap "knock-offs." Joseph Prusa has continued to make
improvements and sells them himself. His "genuine" versions consistently
out perform much higher priced models due to his attention to accuracy,
high quality components, etc. which you generally don't get from a
Chinese clone. The real Prusa is here: http://www.prusa3d.com/ and the
current model is the i3 mk2s. A quick online search will bring up lots
of reviews etc. I've been extremely happy with mine.

As far as things I've made with it? Lots and lots of things. It's a
device that once you have and get your head around the design software,
you'll find an absurd number of things to make. One of my favorite
examples is the current rod holders I made for our basement. We wanted
to put a curtain divider up going into our media room. The problem is
that the walls were well out of square since it was also where some duct
work came into the room. It was a total of 17.5 degrees out of square
which meant that there was no holder that had that kind of an offset
base and no tension rod would stay in place as it would "walk" until it
just fell out. I simply opened Fusion 360, designed a new set of holders
with the appropriate angle to the bases and now it fits and works
perfectly. Cost about $0.25 in material. I have lots and lots of
examples of things like this. Once you get one, you find uses. I also do
a lot of miniature gaming so I've printed lots and lots of terrain and
things for use with it.

James