Eventide H9?

Andrew Tarpinian andrewtarpinian at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 15:53:24 CET 2017

It sounds good but I find it a bit of a pain to work with. If you take the time to program your presets and know them you're good. But I'm the type that when sitting down to play with some hardware I want to dial in what I want when I want and the interface is lacking for that, basically on the front  there are some buttons you can program for a patch quick hot knob access things like drywet, depth etc, then you can actually program everything digging deep but no one would) There is of course the iPad and phone interface which gives you everything but I find it a chore to have to pull out the iPad, make sure it's charged, connect bt, etc. I also find the interface on the iPad terrible, it's ugly, has some weird interface choices, sometimes interface lag, and most of the presets suck as starting points, way over done. Also it's a bit overwhelming all the choices and sometimes I have trouble just dialing in simple stuff I want to do. Plus with one unit (for the expense) you just wind up with one effect at a time, though there are some that have a delay/rev/chorus I think in one. You can buy other base units(cheaper) and use your same account plugs to run multiple effects.

I think in the end I would have been happier with the strymons or even just the individual eventide boxes. The H9 is not that fun to play with when jamming. It's meant for a performer to program all their sounds stick it on the board not touch it and go through their presets for songs, it's like a rack pedal.