Starting with software-based music production

Jay Vaughan (ibisum) ibisum at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 20:53:37 CET 2016

> I hear everybody on NI Komplete, but €500 is a considerable amount of
> money for something that I'm not 100% certain about where it's going to
> take me. €200 is a bit more feasible.

Do not discount, then, the totally free software route, also.  I beg of you, install Ubuntu Studio and spend an evening or two setting it up properly - there is immense amounts of power and - frankly - unique and interesting sounds - in the open source world.  My DAW has 300+ plugins, ranging from your average bodgy student hack to the bazaare and truly unique.  All free.  All sources available.  I’ll dump a list, and you will see the un-tapped potential of this particular route in your quest.

Even if you just get as far as a bit of Hydrogen and ZynAddSubFX and Bristol being driven by seq24 while streaming them into individual tracks in Ardour, remember the cost: you will be having a bit of fun, setting it up, and it won’t cost much but the download time and a bit of patience.

Get to that sweet spot though, and you may achieve true nirvana in this quest.

> Anyway, I just installed Reaper, so it'll be a bit like going back to my
> tracker days on the Amiga.

Go through every option in the prefs carefully, there are some deep tweaks in there.

> Thanks, everybody, for the help so far. I'll keep an eye out for the NI
> Keyboards, although I have the same problem as you. Even though there is
> space for a small keyboard on my desk, there's usually a cat there. I
> need to see how I'm going to manage that.

I guess you’re not going to be schlepping and EX5’ing into the mix, somehow, then?

;
--
Jay Vaughan
ibisum at gmail.com