Starting with software-based music production

random variate randomvariate at hotmail.co.uk
Thu Jan 7 22:57:08 CET 2016

I would recommend NI Komplete... Its a full suite of synths (many synthesis engines), fx, sample/rompler type synths..and then you also get Reaktor, which is Endless (with a capital E). I recently spent more time with Reaktor and stumbled on many small plugins that are simply inspirational.

Komplete 9 might be cheap at some places as latest version is Komplete 10.

Komplete 9 also enables you to use Reaktor Player 6, which opens the door to the new Blocks (virtual modular) NI synth concept.

Oh, and I'd also recommend the Korg Legacy collection.... I am a card carrying hardware fiend (I have an OB8 due in a few weeks), but those two VST packs are truly amazing sounding.

Lets see what other think though.

Cheers

Tim