JMJ Oxygene 3

Gert van Santen g.vansanten at upcmail.nl
Thu Dec 8 11:27:40 CET 2016

Op 6-12-2016 om 14:08 schreef Marek Szulen:
> Gert
>
> If you use Spotify - it's there already.
>
> This should be the right link
> https://open.spotify.com/album/6YUl40nDFQSE2BlDOjxK6R
>
> Marek

So I listened to this album one and a half time.

I think it is uninspiring, inconsistent and mostly boring. It
misses all the freshness of Jarres early works. Also, there are
almost no real solos. Those solo's - to me - were the best part
in Oxygene 1, and even in Oxygene 2.

As far as I'm concerned Oxygene 3 sounds like a so-so'ish backing
track for adding live solo's and effects and stuff during a gig.

I feel Jarre has completely lost his mojo.

Since we're on the subject of "old" musical heroes, I sort of had
a similair experience when I went to a Peter Gabriel concert a
couple of years ago. After 15 minutes I realised that I didn't
like the "acoustic" set in the beginning at all, a bit later I
was underwhelmed by new arrangements of his songs, and overall I
was shocked to see that my all time favourite musical hero was
now an old man in a weird coat.

Afterwards I also realized that I, myself, was becoming an old
man in a weird coat, and I didn't like it...

Something else I don't like - there's a complete bathroom
renovation going on at my house. One and a half week ago I felt
some of the tiles under my feet move, and I called the housing
department. We went from "just glueing the stones back" to
"complete renovation" in a couple of hours, and now we suddenly
are in this huge mess.
The whole thing will take 2,5-3 weeks. There's loads of strangers
going in and out, making a terrible amount of noise, using our
bathroom, eating at my dining room table, burping, shouting,
leaving the door open all the time (it's cold!). And they start
work at 7:30 in the morning, so I have to get up at 7:00. Oh, and
we have to shower at some neighbours house.

Looking forward to the end of this...

Cheers from a rather grumpy me.

Gert

gert van santen