Kraftwerk 3D live

K9 Kai Niggemann kai at kainiggemann.com
Thu Nov 26 11:36:07 CET 2015

hi,

a friend gave me a ticket for Kraftwerk's 3D show at Lichtburg in Essen, Germany's oldest and largest cinema. It was for the extra show that started at midnight on sunday (/monday).

I knew about the tour and had already passed up on tickets for the "1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8" tour, but now when this came up I thought why not. I had seen Kraftwerk in 1997 at ZKM in Karlsruhe and was blown away (these are the heros of my childhood, I was listening to Kraftwerk from vinyl and tape while playing with Lego in the early eighties...)

On Sunday night/monday morning I was completely blown away. The way they modernize their sounds, their arrangements, how "live" everything is, in spite of sequences and stems that are obviously playing made this a great experience. it's not (just) old men making old music, it's (also) very modern, very cool, very uptodate, with fresh sounds and awesome (albeit sometimes cheezy) visuals. Even though it's only Ralf Hütter of the original members, but the other three have been playing with him for so long, it's almost normal to see them instead of Wolfgang, Karl and Florian...;)

The ending was especially nice, everyone played a little solo with their instruments (first visuals, then drums, bass, finally Ralf Hütter on vocals/formants/vocoders), before they one by one left the stage, went to a spot in the front, bowed and left.

I am heavily biased (didn't bring any Lego for Ralf to autograph, though, not *that* biased!). But I loved it..;)

Kai