Holy Molies: Korg M1 on iPad

Nigel Kersten nigel at explanatorygap.net
Sun May 24 23:49:38 CEST 2015

On Sun, May 24, 2015 at 2:34 PM, Andrew Tarpinian <andrewtarpinian at gmail.com
> wrote:

> On May 24, 2015, at 4:16 PM, Nigel Kersten <nigel at explanatorygap.net>
> wrote:
>
> On Sun, May 24, 2015 at 1:13 PM, Andrew Tarpinian <
> andrewtarpinian at gmail.com> wrote:
> Have you used the Volca boxes with all the live performance things they're
> jamming into them?
>

> Yea, actually I just synced (sunk?) 3 up to my op1. They are fun but of
> course there is a limit, unless you make techno then you are good :) I
> actually find myself going more into that direction these days.

I can't work out if I'm rediscovering my love of making techno because of
the Volca boxes, or whether I'm enamoured by the Volca boxes because I've
been rediscovering techno, but they're definitely provoking this odd kind
of output of mine that's live and somehow quite separate to the stuff I do
with my DAW normally.

The Volca Sample is surprisingly flexible. I've got all four now, and the
Beat is really only getting used for that gorgeous analogue kick with long
decay.

> Listening to this today:
>
> http://createdigitalmusic.com/2015/05/gig-free-music-mixed-function-will-take-brain-berghain/

I just came back from Berlin recently, and was basically just in love with
Berlin techno the entire time.

> I like the analog they're doing, as I was never really a fan of the
> electribe sound, but I suspect we're going to see them take some of those
> lessons in the cheap experimental Volca boxes and do something up market.
>

> We'll see. I think they are still scared of making expensive things that
> your average professional "keyboard" player wouldn't buy.
>
> I'm debating the new electribe, it seems fun.
>

>> > Teenage Engineering OP-{*} perhaps?
>>
>> I think they are too weird and unfocused, they could never do something
>> completely serious. Op1 is a bit like what I am talking about but pocket
>> version and does have its limits.
>>

> Arturia?
>

> Yea, weirdos as well. They blew it open with the minibrute, then some cool
> stuff, but really more like a slow crawl. Also a bunch of people on the
> Arturia forums REALLY hate them for the origin, I dunno why but they do.

I just can't fall in love with the microbrute, and I think I'm going to
sell it to one of the friends I've lent it to who does seem to adore it.

The MS-20 mini basically just destroys the microbrute for everything I was
using it for, so it's very much unloved right now.

 So... I think your hopes might rest with Elektron? I played with an A4 and
an Octatrack, and totally see why so many people are moving their live sets
to the latter.