subwoofer?

K9 Kai Niggemann kai at kainiggemann.com
Mon Jun 8 14:50:44 CEST 2015

Hi everyone,

in the last weeks I created a soundtrack for a huge mapped projection on the city hall of Bochum, a 70 m wide projection "screen". (I will have a video up soon!)

They provided two incredible projectors (my friends of "AQUIET & Francis" made the visuals), with a whopping 35 000 ANSI lumen, each.

The PA was really nice too, providing a deep low end with a pleasing volume in the mids and highs, suggesting power and presence, without blowing anyone's hearing.

but when I heard my mix on that big PA I felt like I should listen to bass differently in my studio. I have a fairly small space (<20 square meters) with two Tannoy Ellipse 10" speakers as my main monitors and some different pairs to compare (K&H O96, but not well calibrated and a pair of KRK v4).

The Tannoys should go down to 100 without any dips in frequency response, then decrease in power gradually (according to the manual). I think I'd like to match them up with a subwoofer.

Can anyone recommend an approach? How to select a suitable subwoofer and frequency crossover? I'm not an engineer, but I need more bass control in my studio -- space constraints notwithstanding...;)

What are your experiences? How do you *do* bass? What are your recommendations? Where is the fine line between mojo and voodoo?

All the best and thanks!

Kai