Ableton recording changes when monitoring is on.

Marc Nostromo [M-.-n] marc.nostromo at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 14:20:34 CEST 2015

Just so that part of the misery is unveiled, you need to think that live
always try to record things as you hear them when using monitoring.

So, if you have a MIDI track in live - or run a sync'ed drum machine - and
you monitor it though another track, you will hear the sound later than the
original midi note *because* you are going to need to sample the sound (and
use buffers) before it can be sent again out of live. So when looking at
the recording, it should always be behind the notes, possibly of a timing
equivalent to your hardware input latency (or is it the full roundtrip?).

Originally, this feature is meant to help recording instruments where if
you *play* along the track using your ears, you want live to take the input
delay into account so it plays back like you heard it.
The problem being that it doesn't work too well with midi sequencing and
feeding back into live monitoring.

I asked around what would the 'proper' way to do this within live and it
seems that using the external instrument bypasses that problem. You specify
the midi channel of your instrument and the audio input for the
'monitoring' and you can then track the audio in another track if you want
to. Additional delays shouldn't be added in that case.

Hope this helps clearing a bit the apparent 'strangeness' of the concept.

Marc.

PS: Paul, maybe you could also use external instruments as ways to label
you ins/out. If your setup is stable (duh!), you can create one preset of
the device per synth you have and you will never have to play with routing
again (I'm kidding of course :)

http://marc-nostromo.com