Now listening

Andrew Robinson andrew at bml.co.uk
Mon Jun 1 23:17:18 CEST 2015

Some 'difficult' albums on heavy rotation here:

Blanck Mass - Dumb Flesh
(full album stream:
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/may/04/blanck-mass-dumb-flesh-album-stream
)

I wasn't too taken with the last Fuck Buttons album, and the other half of
the duo's solo project was pretty much unlistenable for me, so I wasn't
expecting too much of the second album from Benjamin Power... but it turns
out to be challenging, immensely powerful and also rather catchy. For an
album that starts off sounding like it's being played backwards at the
wrong speed, and has a 3 minute featureless expanse of digitally textured
distortion as the intro to it's final track to somehow worm it's way into
my head enough for me to be whistling it in the shower is quite an
achievement.

Power hasn't gone down the slow ambient route taken by his previous album,
instead he presents us with harsh mostly danceable soundscapes, which often
use vocals as texture, chopped up until the meaning is gone and only
emotion remains. Only the single "Dead Format" has anything approaching a
verse/chorus structure, and nothing here fits easily into any well-defined
genre, but there's still lots of melody and chord structures.

Anyway, it's my album of the year so far... Well worth a listen, especially
if you play it loud. If you only want to dip in, I recommend you try a
minute or two from the second half of the last track "Detritus".

Metasplice - Metasplice

(full album stream:
http://www.electronicbeats.net/chris-madak-of-bee-mask-recommends-the-metasplice-lp/
)
Follow the link for a good write up - it you likes Bitstream's "Domestic
Economy 7" (and I did) you might love this. If not, you might think it's
unlistenable drivel.

- Andy_R