PSA: Ableton recording changes when monitoring is on.

Nigel Kersten nigel at explanatorygap.net
Mon Jun 1 05:33:32 CEST 2015

On Sun, May 31, 2015 at 8:08 PM, Andrew Tarpinian <andrewtarpinian at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Yea this is definitely a thing, that I never quite realized before either,
> is this just live? I never noticed it I don't think with say Logic? I
> always use my motu for monitoring now. Also I have been playing around with
> the driver error compensation, I preferred to adjust it myself. Live has a
> tutorial built in you can setup to test this - recording back into your
> interface.

The driver error compensation was the thing that finally convinced me
something was seriously wrong.

I ran through that process, and rather than my recording being behind the
source, it was *ahead* ! and was actually clipping off the beginning of the
source material rather than having a lag....

Once I realized it was the way I was monitoring, I flipped to off, and
there's almost no error now after running the test.

I don't remember this being a problem with Cubase VST/SX, but I was using
almost 100% software for a long time, so it wasn't really relevant, and
when I did used to record external gear, it was often straight into the
sampler.