Hot damn NAMM

K9 Kai Niggemann kai at kainiggemann.com
Mon Jan 26 01:34:51 CET 2015

On 26.01.2015, at 00:53, Andrew Tarpinian <andrewtarpinian at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 25, 2015, at 6:43 PM, K9 Kai Niggemann <kai at kainiggemann.com> wrote:
>
>> If I wasn't DIY'ing my own 208 and 216 currently, I'd so fall in love with that snoopy…;)
>
> Do you think there is enough there to really capture the Buchla sound?

Yes, certainly. A random source is missing, but you have a complex oscillator (261e, the full fledged thing), two low pass gates (and they sounds *really* nice! I have the 292e in my system and there is nothing like that in any other synth or software (I haven't heard a QMMG -- there is one for sale on Muff's currently)

Not as bad as a new Synthi A, someone just posted that they received theirs after 13 years. That's almost as bad as a Trabant car in the GDR (usually 15 years)...(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sachsenring)

>> If you are into the Buchla sound, but are looing for Euro alternative, a new kid has appeared on the block too. Sputnik Modular is Roman Filipov, the guy behind all those "r" Buchla clones. He essentially did a line of clones of all of Buchla's 200 line (not e).
>
> you know I just saw those the other week, and was like wait is that new? the look is really nice (I’m kinda getting a little tired of the punk rock everything looks different euro thing.) I have been looking at the Verbos stuff too ever since it came out.

Yes, tha majority of the modules were announced at NAMM. Some are older, though. But the spectacular stuff is only coming out now. Some are extremely direct clones of Buchla, I wonder if there are any patents or other IP issues involved, Roman used to be a pirate, pretty much... ("All pirates want to be admirals", after all)

>> If this Buchla lingo sounds like gibberish to you, please feel free to ask -- it did to me too, at first..;-)
>
> Yea, these “affordable” systems really caught my eye especially with the new compatibility. The sensible thing is to go more West Coast in euro, but there is something about going to the source.

Do you have a good recommendation for Euro cables? I have too many crappy Doepfer ones, and think maybe I should just entirely switch to stackcables...

You are on Muff's, too, right? What's your name there? I am Misa.

All the best
Kai