Once you go mini...

Peter Korsten peter at severity-one.com
Wed Feb 25 23:02:29 CET 2015

Nigel Kersten schreef op 25-2-2015 om 22:31:

> FWIW Ansible, Salt, Puppet and Chef all come in completely free
> open-source packages as well as commercially supported variants.
> Think RHEL/CentOS.

Well, not exactly. CentOS is basically RHEL compiled from source,
whereas the difference between the free and paid editions of Puppet,
Chef etc. is the feature set (and support). I'd already determined that
some of that feature set we'd need. Active Directory comes to mind.

The issue is not the cost as such (we've paid a tidy sum to your
compatriots of Atlassian, and let's not go about what we're paying
Accenture), but the fact that it's a yearly cost. CapEx is good, OpEx is
bad.

> I'd also point out that several divisions of your company have already
> bought Puppet Enterprise :) We're part of that project to save on
> operational expenditure :)

But those usually have considerably more customers than around
250,000... we at Vodafone Malta are somewhat size challenged.

Also, a VERY important consideration is that my wage is an operational
expenditure, too, and is being paid from the same money as the yearly
licenses. :)

- Peter

- Peter