Once you go mini...

Nigel Kersten nigel at explanatorygap.net
Wed Feb 25 19:46:22 CET 2015

On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 10:34 AM, ibi sum <ibisum at gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Feb 25, 2015, at 19:17, Nigel Kersten <nigel at explanatorygap.net>
> wrote:
> > As someone who was a Debian fanboy for a very long time, I actually
> think Red Hat are the ones who are advancing the state of Linux in the most
> meaningful way right now.
>
> I think the Linux Mint folks are doing a better job, but honestly I
> haven’t paid enough attention to what RH are doing.  What are RH doing?

systemd to start with :)

Here's a good overview of the kind of stuff I'm talking about:

http://0pointer.net/blog/revisiting-how-we-put-together-linux-systems.html

What do you think Mint is doing a better job at? It's basically a different
release process of Debian/Ubuntu, with different opinions around including
proprietary software.

They do work in userland, but other than Cinnamon, I don't see anything
they've done that substantially pushes Linux forward.

> > This might be because I'm strongly on the systemd side of the Great Init
> Wars of 2014/2015…
>

> Obvious troll is obvious!

I'm genuinely not trolling, although I realize it looks just like I am :) I
think systemd is exactly the right kind of disruptive change that needs to
happen to Linux, particularly in the world of

> > Yep, and they do this far better than Ubuntu do with LTS releases.
>
> Not my experience, but then I run my apt-get updates religiously, whereas
> most people do not.

As a desktop OS only it's not as bad, but Ubuntu Server LTS has many
issues.

> > You should Puppetize it :)
>

> Not gonna do it, but its so *cough* ansible *cough* tempting ..

For one or two machines, sure, and for orchestration sure. Not for actual
config management :)

(For those who don't know, I work at Puppet Labs :) )