Once you go Mac..

ibi sum ibisum at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 19:11:40 CET 2015

> Apple snuck it's way into my studio.   It started with an iPad I bought and then an Apple TV I got as a gift.  Then I got another Apple TV and an iPhone.  My wife got an iPhone and a MacBook and now I am completing their conquest of my digital life by swapping out the studio machine.  I have been amazed at how what I was trying to accomplish by building my own linux and windows based infrastructure in my home was basically out of the box functionality that required zero hours spent tweaking and futzing to make work.    I know some people like that, but my tweaking futzing years are long over.  Give me something that works.

UbuntuStudio is plug and play, for what its worth, and comes absolutely loaded to the gills with tons of great plugins and software.  Just as a reference - not that it matters any more.  I use Reaper on my MBP as a portable DAW (recording at the bands place), but my main DAW at home is UbuntuStudio, Ardour 3.1.  Its beautiful how smoothly it works.  Definitely competitive with Mac OSX in terms of out of the box experience, but you have to know enough to start with Ubuntu Studio in the first place ..

;
--
Jay Vaughan
ibisum at gmail.com