Once you go Mac..

Andrew Robinson andrew at bml.co.uk
Tue Feb 24 18:09:05 CET 2015

Fusion drive is a great idea if you need to avoid external drives (ie you have a laptop) but I'm not sure they make sense otherwise. You're going to have lots of studio hardware anyway, so I'd add a cheap 4tb external and I'd go for at least 512gb ssd internal instead. In a few years when spinning disks are fully replaced by ssd, you can swap the 4tb over or relegate it to a sneaker net backup drive. This is my setup at the moment, I do everything on the ssd and archive to the external... I regret not getting a 1tb ssd, but then I do a lot of heavy video editing. If you plan on a dual boot with windows you might need 1tb too.

FireWire to lighting should be fine.

The retina is something you might be kicking yourself about in a few years if you don't get it, with 4k being heavily pushed for consumer TVs soon, non retina capable machines will look dated in a couple of years imho... Plus you'll be able to edit 4k footage beautifully on the 5k screen - I don't know if this is a factor for you?

- Andy_R