Know your 80s SPOLIER ALERT

Mikael Hansson forums at deadmengods.com
Sat Feb 14 12:37:32 CET 2015

> Don’t be too hard on your self, I’d say it’s a quite difficult list of songs :-)
>
> I’ll post the answers tomorrow around lunch…

Here’s the list:

01 Blancmange - Feel me - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blancmange_(band) <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blancmange_(band)>
Most known for “Living on the ceiling” and “Blind Vision”. Their debut album Happy Families is a 80s treasure.

02 Talk Talk - It’s so serious - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk_Talk <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk_Talk>
From their debut album, before they got caught up in seriousness and still were writing songs. Love the sound of this album.

03 Boytronic - Luna Square - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boytronic <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boytronic>
The best synthpop act from Germany during the 80s (the K’s are not pop :-). Two great albums before they split up (not counting the record company shameless restart with other members).

04 Indochine - Leila - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indochine_(band) <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indochine_(band)>
Many of you might have missed their first album, L’Aventurier, which were the only good one.

05 Rupert Hine - The Golden Age - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rupert_Hine <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rupert_Hine>
Mostly heard as a producer for other bands. I guess you can hear that this was done at the same period as Howard Jones debut album :-)

06 Thompson Twins - Kamikaze - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thompson_Twins <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thompson_Twins>
Also a band that peaked early. This is from their album “Quick step & side kicks”. Love the sound of that album.

07 Fad Gadget - Ladyshave - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fad_Gadget <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fad_Gadget>
Probably one of the easier? Daniel Miller helped produce this which you quite clearly can hear. Get Dave Gahan on vocals and this would fit right in on Speak & Spell.

08 Naked Eyes - Emotion in motion - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naked_Eyes <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naked_Eyes>
Might have been the first synthpop band to extensively use the Fairlight CMI.

09 China Crisis - You never see it - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_Crisis <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_Crisis>
More commonly known for their smash hit “Wishful Thinking” around 1983-1984. This was from their first album which was more experimental and less mass appeal.

10 Data - Opera Electronica - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DATA_(band) <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DATA_(band)>
One of the most under-appreciated bands of the 80s. I regard their album “2-Time” as one of the best albums of the 80s. Still sounds modern to me :-)

11 Twice A Man - Decay - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twice_a_Man <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twice_a_Man>
Swedens top synth act of the 80s. Had some followers among the hardcore synth-fans, mainly in Germany and NL. In the early 80s they were offered to play in London as an exchange band for New Order playing in Sweden (apparently it needed to be some kind of trade balance regarding concerts at the time). At the time they were known as Cosmic Overdose. The arrangers told them they had to change name as everyone would think they were hippies and no one would show up. They got some suggestions and in a rush just picked Twice A Man as a name.

Did you get some of them?

/Micke