Tokyo Images

Jay Vaughan (ibisum) ibisum at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 21:02:19 CET 2015

> I actually didn't really enjoy it on my last trip, and left pretty quickly. It's absolutely worth visiting at least once though. Harajuku is way more interesting in terms of fashion, and has the most amazing synth store I've ever been to.... but you can still find all those things online.

The synth shops in Japan are mind-boggling though, you have to admit.  I mean, I got to know all the great synths shops in LA too, during the 80’s and 90’s, but when I hit up the Tokyo shops, it was like .. a whole other level of amaze-balls.  I mean, the variety and density of the second hand market, combined with the Japanese value of keeping things in pristine condition, meant there were some really great discoveries in the window-browsing department.

> This is why I obsess over food when I travel. Shopping is the same everywhere, but food is almost by definition local and un-exportable, especially when you avoid tourist places at all costs.

Damn fine point!

> Yesterday was incredible here in HK. preserved egg and pork congee for breakfast,  beef rendang, char kway teow, wrapped chicken pendany for lunch, and char siu bao buns for dinner.... I'd be surprised if I spend $50 USD on meals for the entire day...
> Back to reality at the end of the week…

Damn, I need to get a job.  :P

;
--