Keeping 2 audio files in perfect sync

Gert van Santen g.vansanten at upcmail.nl
Fri Nov 14 15:27:10 CET 2014

Andrew Robinson schreef op 14-11-2014 15:17:
> A bit of an odd question, but someone might have an idea about
> how to do this...
>
> I've got 2 high res (24bit 96Khz) files. They are the vocal and
> instrumental versions of a classic 80s pop song. I'm fiddling
> about with my own remix, and I'd love to do the 'subtract one for
> the other to get an acapella' trick. This usually works really
> well on digital files, especially when the mixes are otherwise
> identical as these are. The problem with these ones is that they
> are not quite digitally identical, but have each been through an
> analogue tape stage, which has introduced a *tiny* bit of speed
> instability, inaudible, but enough to make digital subtraction a
> nightmare as the files drift away from each other by up to about
> 50 samples per bar. I can match up .2 to .5 second bits perfectly
> and get a tiny snippet of crystal clear acapella, but what I
> really need is a way of either automatically phase-locking the
> files, making almost imperceptible pitch bends, or automating
> very very short delay changes.
>
> Logic Pro is frustratingly hopeless at this, it provides a sample
> accurate delay plug in, with sample accurate automation on the
> delay times... but the automation can only be set in massive
> clunky increments, and I can't find any way at all to adjust it
> precisely.
>
> Any ideas, folks?
>
> - Andy_R

Hm, I think Ableton Live will be able to do this quite well. You
can set markers anywhere in an audiofile and get great results. I
have done this a couple of times myself with audio.

But...
1. Perhaps you don't have Live.
2. Perhaps this still isn't exactly what you are looking for...

Cheers,

--
Gert

gert van santen