Cloud Based Mastering

Gert van Santen g.vansanten at upcmail.nl
Tue Nov 4 12:38:35 CET 2014

Romain / rXg schreef op 4-11-2014 12:02:
> Everything you said seems right ... But even waiting few days to
> master with fresh ears,I want to go back to mix ... Then i m
> turning in round :)

Haha, I know what you mean.

But there comes a time for every song to make a decision and
stick with it. Don't take a month for mixing one song. In the end
you will ruin the song and your fun, and you will get sick and
tired of your own music.

I don't know who said this (Matt Picone? Frank Zappa? :-), but
it's better to develop yourself between songs than in just one
song that you try to improve to death. Also, never forget the
beauty of imperfection...

> Also I see a lot of people proposing to master songs... But I
> really doubt if they are all using hardware ...

Personally, I think the importance of using hardware is highly
overrated these days. There's a lot of great software around.
None of your listeners will hear the difference. You won't even
hear it yourself ;-)

Most important instrument is your ears. Nothing can beat that. I
am sure a good mastering technician can make an awesome master
with cheap gear or cheap software. OK, if you've got "bad ears",
there's not much you can do, even with expensive hardware. In
that case it's better to hire someone to do your (mixing and)
mastering jobs :-)

> Gijs from heliophile pays a guy in USA 20 euro a song for
> mastering ... And he s glad about the result ....

Sure, why not. It's always a good idea, though, to compare the
results with commercial releases.

Cheers,

--
Gert