Listening to: Minilogue

Tony Scharf noisetheorem at outlook.com
Wed Jan 29 14:43:22 CET 2014

> Does anyone really think Daft Punk is that great?  Coz I don’t.  I find their music formulaic, boring, and predictable.  There isn’t much sound design going on - most of their stuff sounds like factory presets.  The hooks?  Meh.  Subject-matter?  Meh.  Collaborating with the cheesiest people that America has to offer, for the sake of market penetration? Bo-ring.

Right with you, Jay.  I haven't liked anything they have done really.  I don't consider myself a hater, more of an indifferenter.
The Tron soundtrack, for example, was pretty boring. Like a bad Korg Workstation demo in a lot of parts.
> I know its a useless rant, but I just don’t feel the DP love.
>
> Who else is out there, electronic-music making, but *actually* innovating and actually doing amazing things?  Blinky lights are one thing; having written your own software to produce beats never before thought possible in the history of the species - a little more interesting.  I just wish I knew: who.

I don't really know.  I am not so concerned about methods as sound.  I find sound artists like Atomic Shadow or Broken Harbour interesting, but if you are looking for beats, don't look there.  Atomic Shadow works with HP test oscillators and FX to build up sound collages and Broken Harbour is similar.
Tony