If you could design a music product ..

Peter Korsten peter at severity-one.com
Wed Jan 8 23:32:34 CET 2014

Jay Vaughan schreef op 7-1-2014 10:42:

> .. what would it be?

Something that takes the principles of evolution to sound design.

Whether this is something that the music industry needs is doubtful:
synths aimed at sound design have never been great commercial successes.
But given the chance, it's something I would do.

As for evolutionary sound design, I'm envisioning this as something
where you start from a know sound - it could be from a sample, or a
preset, or some analogue or physical modelling, or something you heard
at 2:14 in a certain YouTube video - and start modifying that.

This modification would be done by changing a vaguely defined parameter.
Say, you want the sound to be more aggressive, or creakier, or rounder.
You would somehow set how much more aggressive or creakier or rounder it
should be.

The instrument then gives you a couple of variations, say four or eight.
You play them, choose the one you like most, and the process starts from
the beginning again, allowing you to change another parameter.

The tricky part will be to come up with a sensible list of parameters
that you want to be able to change, and what the effect should be. What
is a round sound anyway? The list of parameters is potentially endless.

When it comes to non-core functionality, it should be able to connect
with everything that is currently en vogue. So there has to be an app
for several different platforms, to do sound design when away from your
synth; it should connect to your smart phone/tablet/watch/fridge via
Bluetooth (and not some esoteric protocol that you happen to like but
that nobody uses); it should have the ability to store your precious
sounds in a cloud; you should be able to share your sounds with your
friends; all that sort of thing. Hook it up to the internet. If your
phone can do it, so can your synth.

But what's more important than anything else is that it should be
SIMPLE. I read a review of the Roland Jupiter-80 the other day, and my
head swam. How complex can you make one synth? I'm not at all interested
in how many oscillators I have or how many dB's my filter has: I just
want it to sound good - whatever that means.

Please note that I deliberately didn't mention how the interface should
look like. What's described above could be done in many different ways,
be it in hardware, or on a touch screen, or with a mouse, or with a
Minority Report kind of interface. That also gives you the possibility
to carry your sounds from one environment to another.

- Peter