An OPL3 can be quite cool

Jay Vaughan seclorum at mac.com
Tue Feb 11 15:57:16 CET 2014

> I read across this, then forgot about it until we talked about a Virus last night in the studio -- I think the Virus, even though it has a lot of menus (esp. the TI) is one of the more intuitive synths! with many knobs and the ability to really destroy the preset with both hands in less than 20 seconds.

No question about it - the knobs-to-parameter ratio is pretty darn high.

> in other words: there is no excuse for using lame presets (stay especially far away from the ones labelled "k9" in OS3 of the Virii...;) at all…!

;)

I think we will always have to deal with the preset layer-users.  Its like the difference between an application user and an application developer - a lot of keyboards just dial up their favourite Hammond Rhodes sound, and off they go .. a few tweaks here and there .. and leave it at that.  This happens because of course, its the human - playing keys - that matters in this whole equation.  Who cares if its a preset if there’s rock happening, right?

j.