M185 Sequencer (Again!)

Tony Scharf noisetheorem at outlook.com
Tue Feb 11 15:00:55 CET 2014

The schrittmacher is quite a different animal in that its more geared toward performance as an instrument than just a 16 step sequencer.  You can build up quite intricate interplay between the lines, using one line to modify another in almost algorithmic ways.  And, of course, you can interact with it.
Lets take an example.  Lets setup a sequence with the first line as a standard note line.  It has 16 steps, but we set only the first 4 to loop.  It will just keep playing c.c.c.c on every step forever.  I knob it into a pattern, and then set the next 4 steps to have a set of 4 that i like...and so on.  I focus on four steps so the pattern could be considered a bank of 4 parts for a song.
Now I go to the second line and I set it to modify velocity of the first line.  fun, but not interesting yet.
On the third line (you have 8 lines per sequence) I set it to transpose the first line but I only make it 3 steps long.  Every 3rd step will bounce up 7 steps (a fifth).
On the 4rth line, I do the same, but every 5 steps and go down a 3rd.
now add 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th lines doing either more note or more modifications.  You can modify gate time, step length, sequencer direction, or send controllers on each step.
Now hit play.
The pattern that comes out won't be a simple 16 step repeating pattern.  Depending on how you set it up, it can take a long time to resolve.   Each line can have its own gate time and step length so you can have lines that only have an effect once every 4 bars or so.
As the sequence is playing you can interact with it, obviously, as well.  you can mute and unmute lines and sequences and change their values.  The only unfortunate thing is that you have to stop the sequencer to change a lines target or to create a new line.  Oh well..nothing is perfect.
And that's only one sequence.  You have 4 of them with 8 lines each.   It can get pretty intricate.  It takes some imagination and planning, but it is far more than a 16 step analog sequencer.  It just only looks like one.
Tony