Alec Empire at 31C3

K9 Kai Niggemann kai at kainiggemann.com
Tue Dec 30 20:15:14 CET 2014

I'm not sure if any of you guys followed the talks at the 31C3, the Chaos Communications Congress in Hamburg, by the CCC, the German hacker group Chaos Computer Club (I am a member ;-)

The keynote talk was held by a certain Alec Empire, one of the main characters behind Atari Teenage Riot.

I never watched it, I only read the text and was very inspired by the stuff he says about music and politics:

http://atari-teenage-riot.tumblr.com/post/106445636152/31c3-a-new-dawn-alec-empire-full-text-incl

He speaks about Empathy, Spotify, Youtube, the "Long Tail" and many implications of these technologies and memes.

I found it a very interesting (albeit long) read.

http://streaming.media.ccc.de has all the talks archived, and there are some amazing and inspiring ones (Jacob Applebaum & Laura Poitras, for example) in English, even..

The conference's motto was "A New Dawn". I wish you all a great slide into 2015 (as they say in German ("Guten Rutsch"), and may that prove to be a worthy motto for 2015...!

I'm glad to be a member of this community and hope we can do something interesting together in this upcoming year.

All the best,
(and wear earplugs for the fireworks. You never know who might think it's funny to toss a fire-cracker into your hood...)