FabFilter Pro-Q 2 (was: New Track: "Hot Fan")

foRUMS 4 punkdISCO forums at punkdisco.co.uk
Wed Dec 10 22:27:08 CET 2014

[separate email otherwise messy]

This is what Ive been doing with it in the last few days; as an example:

1)      You want to EQ your BASS TRACK to make way for KICK

2)      Put ProQ on BASS TRACK

3)      Route KICK -> BASS TRACK ProQ sidechain

4)      Open BASS TRACK ProQ and EQ Match the sidechain input (KICK)

5)      Invert the gain (boost become cuts / cuts become boost)

6)      Remove all the boosts, leaving just the cuts

7)      Play with the gains, collectively and/or individually

Result in under 1 minute:

-          You now have a few bands of EQ cutting on your BASS TRACK that EXACTLY match the kick

o   The cut frequencies match (obviously)

o   The Gain reductions match relative to each other (but you will play with these to taste)

o   The bell shapes exactly match the KICKs shapes (this is hugely beneficial)

-          You have control on how many bands (3 or 4 normally work)

Typically, with only 2 or 3db of cuts, the results are like WOW!  Doing On/Off tests it goes from Pro -> Shite sounding.

I often read in SoS “and we did a 2db cut to make room for xxx”.  I never got this as 2db cuts to me rarely yielded anything.  When the frequencies/bell shape/gains are exact mirror opposites of the reference track, very small cuts give night/day results..

Incredible..  I recommend everyone demo’s it..

Paul

London

www.punkdisco.co.uk