Label and pigeon-hole yourselves.....

Nigel Kersten nigel at 4trak.net
Sat Aug 23 20:59:22 CEST 2014

so I've been out for a while, and Andrzej's comment on his post got me
thinking about how I have no idea what you're all producing and what you're
listening to these days.

Being anal about micro-genre labels sucks, but you know, apart from
actually listening to *everything*, language is all we have....

I'll go first.

**Producing**

I'm still working out what my voice is after a long break, but things seem
to be breaking into three broad categories. Forgive my out of date
reference points ;)

Micro-house with a dubby techno kind of vibe. Think Luomo meets Basic
Channel and Rhythm and Sound.

Abstract electronic with a more experimental feel, Mouse on Mars, Atom
Heart, Pole, Sutekh, Surgeon.

Urban something post dnb, autonomic, footwork-y ragga whatever you call
this stuff at 150-170 bpm with more stuttery drum work with more kicks.

**Listening**

Totally obsessed with Mark Pritchard's EPs under his own name. Completely
fascinated by juke/footwork and that whole fast/slow thing that seems to
have come out of Mosaic Records, dBridge, Objekt, Om Unit's more recent
stuff. Pretty excited about the new Bug album too...

With the recent announcement of the upcoming Aphex Twin album (squee!) I've
been working my way through the back catalog of all his older stuff under
every pseudonym. It's even more glorious than I remembered.

Also been running back through the Kompakt Records back catalog and
catching up on the last few years of releases.