Music Industry? What industry?

Tony Hardie-Bick tony at entity.net
Mon Sep 16 15:40:05 CEST 2013

On 16/09/13 14:22, James Coplin wrote:
> I think that what often is forgotten regarding music is that the
> idea of the big artist/industry etc. is a fairly recent innovation.
> Certainly, there have always been famous musicians but I see music
> returning to the state it was in before the 1930s when everything
> was more or less "folk" minus a few notable elite cultural
> exceptions.

yeah - it's been very artificial, although highly entertaining and much
great music was made - but the top of the pyramid was very disconnected
from the base, and there were so many casualties (people and musics).

Business is a fine thing where appropriate, and fine if your music is
good business, but - just as the Internet grew from a set of protocols
freely shared, music's roots are deep and diverse and music thrives in a
setting where the ebb and flow of ideas, no matter how subtle or obscure,
is unimpeded by the need for exaguration.

t.