The Security

Tony Hardie-Bick tony at entity.net
Fri Sep 6 13:04:33 CEST 2013

On 06/09/13 11:36, Jay Vaughan wrote:
> I think its the only way to deal with the dilemna of having Security Overlords looking into everyones private lives.  I certainly think that subversion is the answer, of the artistic kind.  Maybe the goal should be for Artists to embrace this subject and popularize the dialog about the subject by producing works that impinge so much upon the persons understanding of the subject that they can't help but to work to get these people out of power.
>
> Up next: a new concept album dealing with Security versus Privacy and all the torrid steps between ..

these words are inherited. your album would be full of the vocabulary
evolved to shape thought in exactly
the way that encourages the thought patterns you wish to escape

artists (or just, people being artistic) have a responsibility to think
outside the frameworks of thought
that they have inherited from history. it is precisely this inheritance
that causes patterns to repeat.
the escape from the pattern is to invent new language (by which i do not
mean words), new metaphors,
new sounds and shapes and movements (by which i do not mean politics)
that move faster than our inherited
thought structures, through fun, wonder, enthusiasm

there's nothing so seductive than the idea that there is an answer, and
art, in its abstract form, provides
answers that we cannot recognise ourselves, or know whether they are
there. in this innocence only, in creating,
hope is created, for as long as there is no claim to the answer.

so art, created in the awareness which you guys suggest, by education,
and which is an increasing tide in
our civilisation, carries with it answers that we cannot know, or
recognise, but which will be better than
any history, real or imagined.

t.