Reason to upgrade

Tony Hardie-Bick tony at entity.net
Thu Mar 14 00:57:30 CET 2013

from http://is.gd/dither [createdigitalmusic]

"Summing is a hot-button topic, for sure. On some level, there will be a
simple addition, just like there is an addition of voltages/current on
the summing bus of an analog console. But nobody would say that 2 analog
consoles sound the same. Similarly, there are design decisions to be
made on digital mixers. For example, our EQs are implemented in 64-bit,
and there is a dither stage in each channel. When multiple channels are
summed together, you can handle this dither in different ways. The
difference isn’t in the actual summing, but qualitative differences come
from these signals when they are summed."

Tony (HB)

On 13/03/13 21:34, Andrew Tarpinian wrote:
> I'm guessing it's that mixer they have now, with the SSL master bus
> compression, prob makes things sound "better" (louder) by default.
>
> "In fact, the mixer in Reason has become so popular that pro mix
> engineers have made it their weapon of choice to tap into the
> clarity, punch, and analog characteristics provided by the modeled EQ
> or compressors on every channel... and that's not to mention the
> master bus compressor."
>
> I did not realize pro mixing engineers use Reason as their weapon of
>  choice... :L
>
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 5:22 PM, Tony Scharf <noisetheorem at gmail.com
>  <mailto:noisetheorem at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> I still think Reason sounds like Reason, but I havnt used it since
> V4
>
> I might upgrade because of the MIDI out.  That looks really
> interesting.
>
> Tony
>
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 4:12 PM, Andrew Tarpinian
> <andrewtarpinian at gmail.com <mailto:andrewtarpinian at gmail.com>>
> wrote:
>> The new reason midi out seems like a good enough excuse for me to
>> finally upgrade my 3.0 (or something) version.
>>
>> https://www.propellerheads.se/products/reason/new/
>>
>> Plus this blocks (not new to the new version) thing seems pretty
>> interesting:
>>
>> http://www.propellerheads.se/products/reason/index.cfm?fuseaction=get_article&article=devices_blocks
>

>> You can do the same kinda idea in ableton but not quite like this,
>> it's kinda like creating nested comps in After Effects or most
>> video applications. Forgetting the standard song structure, might
>> be interesting to use to approach more non traditional arrangement
>> experiments.
>>
>> Also I have seen a few people reference how punchy and great reason
>> sounds vs. other applications. Is this a new thing? cuz my issue
>> with it back in the day is that it always sounded weak, or "sounded
>> like Reason."

> --

NoiseTheorem: