Extreme noob electronic question

Marc Nostromo [M-.-n] marc.nostromo at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 15:02:18 CET 2013

>> Right now I'm trying to do a Jurgen Haible wasp filter clone. I choose
>> that one because the schematics where easy to find, it runs from 5v
>> and has filter CV so I can learn about ota's too. I can also think of
>> hooking it to an arduino or a teensy as mcu and have a small
>> digital/analog thing to play with.
>

> ok, so for anything "audio" I'd add a 220uF cap as well as the 100nF cap.

Ok, good. Thanks

>> However that one doesn't run properly on 5V DC on the whole audio
>> range (it 'clips' wierdly, I guess because the op-amp there act
>> strange when you get close to the rails) and so I need to power it
>> from 9V and need a 9V->5V regulator for the filter. So I'm planning on
>> powering the whole thing from 9V and get a 5V voltage out of that.
>> Note that in any case, anything I do right now will possibly fail but
>> teach me something.
>

> okdoky, that sounds like a plan.
> you do know that op amps normally need a +ve and a -ve supply?
> i.e. +9v and -9v Unless you're careful with the biasing and you create a
> "virtual" ground.

Yeah, I'm aware of that. At the time I was looking for some schematics
to reproduce, it also one of the criteria that pushed my toward JH's
design as it simply need +5 & Ground. See

http://www.jhaible.de/tonline_stuff/hj_wasp.jpg

Now that I start to understand better how things work, I could rip off
Olivier's power regulator to get +5/-5 from 9V dc. Actually, he's done
some small breadboard 'buddies' pcb for these situation and I'm
starting to think it would be perfect form to try out.

http://www.mutable-instruments.net/forum/discussion/1516

Then I would have a -/+ easily available.

>> I've got millions of things I want to try after :)
>

> it's addictive.

You bet. Even slightly modifying existing devices is quite thrilling.

--
http://marc-nostromo.com