Yamaha RM1X

Tony Scharf noisetheorem at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 18:39:00 CET 2013

I actually sat down and speced out my ideal hardware
sequencer architecture at one point.  It went something like this:

Clips:  Clips contain MIDI data and relative timing information.  They can
contain any data and be any length up to memory size
Tracks:  Tracks contain MIDI data or references to clips.   Clips can be
any lenght up to memory size.
ModTracks:  Mod tracks contain information that modifies other tracks
Song:  A collection of tracks and their associated clips and mod tracks
Set: All songs currently in memory.

I have a lot more detailed notes somewhere on how all of the objects are
supposed to work.  I actually wanted to build this on my iPad, but I don't
think Ill ever get around to it.

Tony

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 5:44 AM, Jay Vaughan <seclorum at mac.com> wrote:

> > In a jamming context I totally agree. But I'm more looking at a midi
> > brain to rule everything in a desktop format. Actually not even to
> > buy, more to eventually build a poor man's cirklon or a cross over
> > between cirklon and a tracker. I'm trying to learn from the past to
> > see if there's any area I should focus.
>
> Recording while playing back is the key thing, in my opinion, missing from
> almost all of the desktop sequencers.  Where it exists, its awesome.  Where
> it doesn't, it sucks.
>
> Another thing is RAM management.  A MIDI sequencer, today, really
> shouldn't force you to allocate RAM upfront - i.e. "preselect how long a
> sequence will be".  It should just have a massive buffer, and you can go
> back in time to the beginning of the buffer, pull bits out that you want to
> introduce in sections, musically, and so on .. with no alloc/free required
> of the user beyond "Include this bit in the future" and "Chuck this away, I
> don't like it.."
>
> Well I could go on and on.  The thing is, if you're making a new MIDI
> desktop brain, make it really, really a brain and not a pocket calculator.
>  This means, give it balls too.

NoiseTheorem:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NoiseTheorem
SoundCloud:http://soundcloud.com/noisetheorem