Tempest

Paul Maddox yo at vacoloco.net
Tue Jan 8 19:33:20 CET 2013

"It's worth what people will pay for it".

for me, Tempest is over priced, I'd rather go to ebay and get a second hand
SDS8 and electribe.

But anyway, back to the subject in hand.
And this is just my tuppence worth, YMMV.

I'm sure DSI have done some pricing exercises and looked at the market..
don't forget the MAJOR problem with costs is distributers and retailers.
Distributers expect 1/3 of the cost, retailers the same. How else do you
think they can afford to sell end of line products at such a heavy
discount? easy, they want the space back in their stockroom.

Anyway, so a $900 synth, breaks down like this

$300 retailer
$300 distributer
$300 Manufacturer.

cost to manufacture will be maybe $150...

Given how much time it would take to develop a product to maturity (say 8
to 12 months), that's not a great deal of recompense.

I've been through this pricing exercise twice now, once with the Monowave
and once with "Tempest" (not the DSI one, the Hartmann one).

oh and the distributer/retailer contracts are insanely tight, try selling
online into an area they supply and you'll know all about it in no
uncertain way!

Sadly there's no way to avoid this if you want to be sure to get a product
to succeed.
You can "pray" you get enough sales from online, but it's unlikely, people
still want to see and touch a synth before splashing their hard earned cash
on one.

So if you want costs of hardware down, start prodding the distributers and
retailers, rather than the manufacturers please :)

Paul