SSD drives rock - again!

Gert van Santen g.vansanten at upcmail.nl
Tue Feb 26 13:07:13 CET 2013

All,

Thanks to Joost's hard drive transplantation lesson in December,
I was able to upgrade my music Macbook Pro of 3,5 years old with
a new SSD 512 GB and 8 GB of RAM.

"Easy peasy" :-)

Really, this is a completely new computer!!! Everything starts up
very fast, and finally there's enough RAM to do all the jobs I
want it to do.

I cannot mention this often enough: when you have an older Mac or
PC that is getting slow, don't buy a new one, but do this:

1. Delete all the stuff you don't need from the original drive
2. Perhaps defragment
3. Clone to the new Drive (put it in an external USB 3.0 housing)
4. Swap dishes and add RAM.
5. Use the old drive in the external enclosure as a backup drive.
6. AWESOMENESS!!

I've decided to not update any software on this machine, so it
will stay as it is for the rest of it's life - same as I did with
my 13 YO G4 Dual 450 GHz, which still works BTW. I've got all the
stuff I need on it, and it works very nicely.

Have a nice day everyone.

I wish we were all together somewhere for a week, doing jam
sessions, talking gear and drinking beer...

Gert

--
gert van santen
www.gertvansanten.nl