DSI Prophet 12

Michael Zacherl mubar04 at blauwurf.at
Sat Feb 9 02:16:12 CET 2013

On 5.2.2013, at 20:07 , James Coplin wrote:
> My Oberheim SEMs are just so lyrical and
> beautiful that I can really make them sing and ache when I play - at least
> to me.  They resonate with me in a very particular way that just isn't
> achieved with similar patches on other gear even other analog vintage
> pieces.  The new ones do not have the same affect either.  The white faced
> ARP Odyssey is another synth like this for me as is the Voyetra 8.  Now
> that I think about it, maybe there is something magic in white synths?

hehe, maybe it's the colour ... it's psychological issues anyway.
could be more true than one might think. ;-)
IMO the personality of an instrument is a conglomerate of many parameters
(literally and metaphorically) which make it individually attractive
or not. It could be just a minor detail, even hard to identify.

> Now, while these are all analogue, I don't think that is really the
> defining factor.  I also absolutely adore the way Omnisphere sounds and I
> love to play it as well.

well, maybe it's also a matter of how you approach the instrument.
everyone finds his/her personal way to play/operate the machine,
paying attention to different details.

>> Yes, might be, but could you try a Prophet-12 already?
>> I wouldn't abandon the idea that this new thing might deliver
>> some positive surprises for us before scrutinising it.
>
> I'm actually interested in trying one but I doubt I would buy one.  It is
> the first DSI product I've heard that I like the sound of, at least from
> the videos.  I think if I were starting off today without the gear I have
> it definitely would be on the top of my evaluation list.  I still have to
> wonder at the pricepoint.  At $3000 I could get an Oberheim OB-8 or
> Xpander.

I'm not sure about the Xpander - it's a nice concept and can be pretty complex,
and it has it's flaws as well, I'm not sure if I wanted to deal with them.
But again, that's personal decisions.
And being "reasonable" or "sensitive" can be pretty hard anyway in this regard. ;-)

> Will the Prophet 12 be able to unseat these in terms of sound
> and functions?  Maybe, we'll have to wait and see.  The companies who
> should be concerned are Access and Clavia.  I have always had a hard time
> with their pricing structure and a $600 MS-20 and a $3000 Prophet 12 are
> potentially market changers is they deliver.

I think you're right at this point - this could shake the market a bit.

>> which you don't find in the VST plugin?
>
> I don't like the sound very much although I do really appreciate the
> interface.  It sounds good but it doesn't quite nail the spooky grit of
> the original.  Here I am splitting hairs admittedly.  I already had the
> Wave 2.3 and Microwave I when the VST came out.  If you want the PPG
> sound, get the plugin or the Waldorf Microwave I.  Both are way better
> values than the real thing.  The Microwave I in particular is a great
> sounding synth.

we got a rather messed up 2.3 in the department, I like it's sound.
But for me it's too distinctive, it sticks out too easily, which can
be a bonus, but not always.
If the plugin doesn't deliver the grittiness I'm not sure if I wanted,
it, I considered it once but meanwhile my interests shifted a bit.
I'd spend the money elsewhere.

>>> In the
>>> end, it is one of the only old vintages I don't have or have had in my
>>> setup that I've always wanted.
>>
>> I'm sure there may be more opportunities to acquire one!
>
> The problem is that while I'm not cheap, I am also not impulsive.  It
> takes a lot to get me to drop more than $2000 on a synth.  Also, I need
> the rack and those are considerably more rare.  Thus timing becomes
> everything.  I've never seen a rack come up in good condition, around
> $3000 or less, when I also happened to have the cash.

the rack VS would be preferable IMO, the keyboard is rubbish anyway,
and just eats space.

> There have been a
> couple of boards these past months but I am sitting on my cash in case I
> can twist Mr. Maddox's arm to let me buy an Aurora rack with some
> polyphony.

hr hr, I think it's better to support the small businesses.
I'm not really looking for a new machine but I'm really curious what Paul
is going to come up with.
The raw material so far sounds promising!

Ah ... enjoy your day, today, BTW! ;-)

cheers, Michael.

--
noise chasers: http://blauwurf.at