DSI Prophet 12

Michael Zacherl mubar04 at blauwurf.at
Tue Feb 5 17:38:26 CET 2013

On 5.2.2013, at 15:50 , James Coplin wrote:

> A couple of things  I think.  First, I never said that I was unable to
> make music without the VS, just that I've always wanted one.

No, this wasn't meant this way, I intuitively picked up the opportunity to express my thoughts in general.
I do know people (not just one person) who think, if it's not a <place product here>
they just can't make it - and they don't even try.
And I think I'm well aware who I am talking to. ;-)
And I think it's a delicate issue with many sides to look at!

> However,
> while in the most basic sense, the particular instrument may be irrelevant
> to what can be done, the instrument does matter more than I think you
> suggest.

I agree and I don't suggest such a thing.
An instrument can be something very individual and then of course
an absolutely personal preference.
But I'm not entirely sure if that applies to electronic instruments in general.
I think the lines are blurry, very blurry.

If someone already has a particular keyboard/synth/drum machine etc. of course
this person might have some strong personal attachment to this which inspires her/him
and she/he loves to play.
But I really beg (in general) to differ and look at every case to see if it's not just hype!
And I really don't think that your desire for a VS originates from a hype,
as I don't see one and I think a hype wouldn't exactly fit my picture of you.

>  I *could* write on the cheapest upright piano just as well as a
> Yamaha concert grand but I can tell you which I would much rather work
> with.

for obvious reasons, no doubt,

> There is a reason concert halls don't typically have Young Chang
> uprights in them.

but that's something different, IMO.

In that context I would understand that, for instance,
an old Steinway or Bösendorfer is better than one fresh off the factory.
Here, this Young Chang comparison doesn't work for me.
Of course I found messed up Steinways, Bechsteins etc. at venues but also know
places with lovely instruments in great shape of many decades of age.

Then again, that's about pianos at venues, not one somebody has at home,
to which she/he, again, certainly may have some personal attachment.

Back to electronic instruments, I'm talking about high quality sounds, of course.
If noise, aliasing, timing of the envelopes, slopes etc. are part of
the quality one is looking for (and IMO they are), that's perfectly fine.
But, likewise, the older the product the more individual the produced units may become,
where it might happen that one starts to pick a synth like somebody else chooses a violin.
See the much discussed MS-20, where some say they don't want just 'an' MS-20,
but meaning a very particular item.

The issue is manifold.

> As someone who really likes electronic textures, synths
> with capabilities like the VS really do it for me.
> I love the blankets of
> cascading timbres it is capable of.

That's the point of my original post, where I remembered your statement you did weeks ago:
"hey, there's an opportunity to get one!"
Surely, you'd be looking at your place, overseas, but there are not so many
in good condition, I might think.
Anyway, it wasn't just meant to tease you or such!

> It is a very unique instrument
> capable of timbres that are just not achievable with other synths.

Yes, might be, but could you try a Prophet-12 already?
I wouldn't abandon the idea that this new thing might deliver some positive surprises for
us before scrutinising it.

> The
> PPG would be another good example.  I have a Wave 2.3, Waldorf Microwave
> I, and the PPG VST plugin.
> They all sound good and are capable of
> essentially the same thing but there is some creepy gritty voodoo in the
> PPG that makes me always end up back on it when I am tracking.

which you don't find in the VST plugin?

> In the
> end, it is one of the only old vintages I don't have or have had in my
> setup that I've always wanted.

I'm sure there may be more opportunities to acquire one!

But I'm not sure I if wanted one.
In the studio I was with in the early nineties we had one VS keyboard unit
which was new and certainly not flawless, as I remember.
IIRC there was an firmware update which fixed some stuff.
And I didn't like the keyboard, but that, again, might be something personal.

Michael.

keep your ears open: http://blauwurf.at
http://soundcloud.com/noiseconformist