They said it wouldn't happen ..

Tony Scharf entropymagnet at noisetheorem.com
Tue Dec 17 15:23:06 CET 2013

> Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 14:06:18 +0000
> From: tony at entity.net
> To: music-bar at lists.music-bar.org
> Subject: Re: They said it wouldn't happen ..
>
> On 17/12/13 13:07, Jay Vaughan wrote:
> >> you're observations are the result of reading news headlines. in decades past,
> >> acts of violence and prejudice, from police or whoever, were less likely
> >> to be considered newsworthy, because they were more common, and because
> >> of institutional bias in the media.
> >
> > My observations are the result of reports from friends of mine who have been kettled, but I’m happy to hear you feel - as someone else who lives in the UK - that your nation is getting less and less violent.  That’s really something I’m happy to hear ..
>
> lol. i feel with my feet on the ground of this rotten beautiful city.
> i'll take you for a walk through it sometime.

I've got to say the same thing, living in one of the largest (and considered most violent) cities in the US.  There are few places you really need to watch yourself, and many that I would never, ever have gone to when I was younger which are now completely safe (as safe as any place can be anyway).  And the police?  The police know full well that every citizen is carrying a camera and can turn any mistake into front page news in seconds.  It is really changing the dynamic of situations.
Tony