They said it wouldn't happen ..

Peter Korsten peter at severity-one.com
Tue Dec 17 00:35:27 CET 2013

Jay Vaughan schreef op 16-12-2013 13:32:

> .. but of course, it did:
>
> http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-12/13/bt-automatic-porn-filters
>
> Are you Brits seeing this in the news?  Is there any fuss about it?  Because, you know what comes after this .. anything the UK gov�t deems politically �un-safe� ..

Much ado about nothing. I've installed parental controls on my son's PC,
meaning he cannot access stuff unsuitable for children about two years
older than he is. Most prominently, Facebook. This is that Microsoft has
done pretty well, but it's not particularly easy to configure (you need
a Microsoft account, set up certain things, blah blah, the usual).

Unfortunately, he has no such controls on his iPad, because Apple
doesn't care about this, and the controls that you can enforce on iOS
are laughably inferior to what you can do with Windows 7 and higher. And
when I did set it up, I completely messed up his iPad and had to do a
clean install. Didn't make him particularly happy.

So I can see the point of doing this at provider level, and that
"parental controls" are selected by default is common sense and
pre-empting certain scenarios, with customers angry at BT because their
children accessed naked-women.com or i-want-to-take-a-gun-to-school.com.

And before you start arguing about parental controls: they're in place
not because I don't trust my son (I happily play Saints Row IV with him
next to me), but because I don't trust the internet.

- Peter