Anyone using AR?

Jay Vaughan jayv at synth.net
Thu Aug 22 20:02:01 CEST 2013

> I have yet to see any AR I really liked, to be honest.  It doesnt seem like something anyone is really doing well.  And honestly...I don't really want to walk around wearing special glasses or holding my phone up in front of me.
> Tony

I've demo'ed it in hardware/industrial settings as a user-instruction mechanism and in that context it works well and appeals to the users.. The games have been cute.

There are AR drink-cartons in the UK, I noticed recently, something called 'burst' or whatever, where you load their app, point your cam at the bottle, and get some 3d overlay.  It was pretty amusing, all things considered (lets just say I slung vuforia around a bit, its easy and light after all..) and I sort of see the music-making potential .. but only if iPads evolve to be a thin slab of transparent material and not much else but pixels, a device which you can just point at the world and get a different version.

I think mirrorshades are in-ev-it-a-ble.  ftf Desktop, amiright?!

Fight for eyeball liberties!

Musically, I can see it happening for things like the sequencing interface: take your average chessboard, turn it right away into a step sequencer that you can carry in your pocket and use with your phone .. which after all can be duct-taped, assuming your country provides you with such liberties, pretty much anywhere you see fit for distance .. keyboard/synth overlays, perhaps?  Hmm, would pocket-synths be intriguing if they used AR to give the user a printed/tangible interface upon which to enact control/chaos?

Haven't found any apps using it, yet, which is why I thought I'd ask ..

;
--
Jay Vaughan