Beat it in a major key

Gert van Santen g.vansanten at upcmail.nl
Sun Apr 7 12:56:34 CEST 2013

Op 7-4-2013 12:17, Romain / rXg schreef:
> Gert, so it seems you are maybe the only one from the list who
> used it :)

That is not impossible :-)

> this melodyne program seems to be the dream for studio,

Depends on what you want to do with it. If you find yourself
doing lots of vocal or instrument correction, or if you love
exeperimenting, it might be the thing for you. As it is, I find
that most of the stuff I need, I can also find in Ableton Live
and probably in Logic now. Thing is, ten years ago Melodyne was
awesome. Today it is most of it is rather "normal".

I fyou like deconstructing complete tracks, this might the best
and only software to go, but it doesn't always work perfect of
course, so you might want to take a couple of days off for your
audio editing ;-)

> I think
> you need quite a fast computer to use it, is it correct ?

Not really. I think you might find the info on that on the
Celemony website. I've used it on rather slow laptops, and didn't
encounter any problems.

> I watched some stuff about it on youtube few month ago  maybe a
> year and i was blast about what this program can do ...
> I wonder with your experience what you think of melodyne also
> will you recommend it ?

Well, interestingly, I have used it mostly on voice overs, where
the client wanted me to change the voice of certain characters in
a script so they would sound more different from other
characters. That worked quite well, because you can change the
pitch and the formants of the audio, and of course the speed.

I have seldomly used it for other stuff, so, although I was very
enthusiastic with the software in the beginning, I think it
totally depends on what your actual usage is.

Also, don't expect true miracles. There's definitely artefacts in
the audio when using more extreme settings.

Wishing all of you a wonderful Sunday!

Gert

--
gert van santen