Anyone looking for a job?

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Oct 3 21:45:09 CEST 2012

Op 3-10-2012 17:10, Tony Scharf schreef:

> On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 3:11 AM, Peter Korsten <peter at severity-one.com> wrote:
>
>> One thing, though, what role exactly are you looking for? Someone to fill a
>> database, or someone to maintain a database server? In the latter case, you
>> might want to add something along the lines of "we're using SQL Server as
>> our database engine".
>
> Yeah, that wasnt really the official posting.  Like everything here,
> the role is going to be somewhat mixed.  Part DBA with MS SQL Server
> as storage and a lot of different data sources (Oracle, Lots of Excel
> and CSV files coming in).  All of the warehouse jobs are currently
> written in python, but we aren't married to that.  This was simply the
> fastest way I could get us off the ground.

Beware of custom stuff. From what I know, there's quite a bit available
in of DWH software, off the shelf. It depends a bit on your budget. But
we're a pretty small company (around 200 people, maybe, and that
includes customer care, commercial, marketing, finance and the radio
guys, apart from the IT department) and we're ditching the
custom-written stuff, because it's just such a bugger to maintain. Get
in one contractor who would grace the pages of thedailywtf.com, and
you're stuck with a nightmare system for which you, Tony, are accountable.

- Peter