Field recorders

K9 Kai Niggemann EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Oct 3 04:11:57 CEST 2012

On 02.10.2012, at 19:30, Andrew Tarpinian wrote:

> What do you guys have?

Zoom H4n

cons:
- it's big and heavy
- hard to find a carrying case/bag that fits the recorder with a windscreen on the mics (some bags for camera-flashs work, I got a tamrac 5150 or some such number)
- door to battery compartment costs 10EUR to replace
- doesn't come with a wristband as it should
- print comes off from all the buttons after a few months of use. better learn it by heart until then.
- a bit tedious setting it from "mono mix" back to stereo again -- messed up a few recordings that way
- "Stop" button doesn't get you out of the menu

Pros: just read the marketing blah blah but this is what I like it for:
- works well on rechargable batteries (I use two sets that I usually charge over night, when I'm traveling I use about 1 set per day, sometimes more)
- XLR/jack in
- 4 track recording
- pretty good quality on the internal mics
- sturdy

HTH;)
Kai